s (•'.'•) welcome to karlsfoodie

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Seeing Duck

Some short duck history with me
My 1st encounter with duck.. was a astonishing one... why? It began in Sweden when well... we were craving for duck... Dear especially, loves duck. Chinese food being expensive there, we hardly eat at chinese restaurant UNLESS the rest of the guys jio us along... we find it stupid to eat chinese... And the only place we look forward to is Chinatown in London... there we can eat chinese food heartily... hem hemmm ... actualy we onli take roast duck thr and nothg else hahaa... Back then going London prob is just like going to JB... just drive up to the airport 3 hours away, catch a flight.. take Standsted Express to town.. lock up the luggage at train station.. PROCEED to Chinatown for Roast Duck noodle/Rice..

Well.. its cheaper there.. at probably 5 pounds, you can eat the REAL Hong Kong style roast duck... while in back in the lonely town... u probably onli get a few miserable pcs of dunno wat kind of duck... at crazy price... When we hav to camp at the London airport overnight when we go travelling, we will tabao this for late dinner at the airport... not that cheap uh if U consider the air ticket.. but the experience is well worth it.. and I haven found any good roast duck in Singapore ever since... nothg better than London's.

Anyway, once... I saw the word 'goose' at ICA and then I also saw the duck word... I was too happy to find it... thinking goose n duck cost the same.. I blindly pick up 1 and went to pay.... When our friend help me to pay 1st... to our dismay... the freaking duck cost near 100 bucks SGD... duck seem more ex than goose there.. tsk... and that was my 1st encounter w duck.. I made sure I make the best out of the whole duck and the guys get to eat with us... Since then.. my million dollar duck been on both me and dear's mind

Anyway.. back to Singapore.. I was waiting for dear to pick me at CS yesterday when I saw this pack of duck parts.. seems like they do sell the duck breast meat and the thigh seperately.. and my family esp dear loves roasted duck (leg... well who doesnt right?? ). So I pick up a pack and decided to do somethg with it... cheap.. 1kg for onli like $7plus.. compare to my million dollar duck... Duck confit came to my mind.. then again after i read thru soem recipe.. it makes me feel its oily.. thou I dun remember the french ones are tat oily.. so I proceed to making my own roast duck...
Marinate 2 thigh overnight in the fridge.. Today I brush some soy sauce n dark soy sauce on the duck.. and left it to dry like this


Dry skin is essential for crispy skin..esp if u do not wan to deep fry the duck... after airing it for about 3 hours.. I got kidn of inpatient.. and Amrita suggest using the hair dryer to dry it.. the heat caused some oil to ozze out.. oh yes. duck are freaking FAT.. they are fatter then chicken..and of cos smellier.. maybe cos they swim and so need fat to protect themselves from the cold? Anyway... decided to pop them into the oven n bake w fan mode.. so they dry up while roasting...

Basted them with some honey and sesame oil... twice at a 6 min interval.. switching between bake w fan mode n grilling ...
Ta dahhhh

After 20 mins... I got this


Nice ehhh... but too bad skin wasnt as crispy as Peking duck (oops.. we r in spore..maybe we call this singapore duck yea)

Still in the wrap /tortilla craze...

I got down to make some mushu crepe...

Which Unfortunately looks good but dont taste like what it shld be...

So ended with my usual tortila again...


Tried to mimick Peking duck.. with a twist thou..

Use 2 tsp of Hoisin Sauce amd a tsp of Plum Paste to neutralise the saltiness... .add some sesame and mix well... spread lightly on the wrap.. add the sliced duck.. carrot and spring onion and roll...

well I got 9 rolls



the taste of the sauce were great.. thou I might want more plum Paste n it next time... still find it on the salty side thou bearable...


Oh Yea... there are the left over duck since I ran out of burittos.. and we ate it just like that.. nice...




Reserve the bones for porridge tomolo or monday .. Hic Hic