s (•'.'•) welcome to karlsfoodie

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

What do you get ......

Well...
what do u get...

if u put these lovely clammy thg... together with a nice rustic bread????
Well.. U get.... Clam chowder in a bowl =)

This been on my to do list for a few days.. or mayb weeks...

Finaly after shopping at Suntec with dear who is on a day of precious leave... And after he happily had his ice-cream and went for his nap.. I took 3 hours to do up all these...
I think the soup is such a huge pot.. that I might never be able to fin.. who knows.. after dinner..... we only have 1 bowl left... well.. im a soup bucket u see =)
After 3 hours or more... I got this


Clam Chowder In Bread Bowl

I rem... when dear and I 1st went dating.. he brought me to a ulu samy place... for western food.. he say the bread bowl is good... with clam chowder of cos... and I think it was in the estate soemwhere at Jalan Kayu.. if im not wrong it should b the current Jerry's Grill at Jalan Kayu.. just a slightly different location from the current one now.. Anyway that was my 1st ever bread bowl...

And we love clamchowder alrite... everywhere I go.. I have clam chowder.... think---Soup Spoonz heehe...

Thanx A .. for the recipes and tolerating my constant whinning on hw scary I think the bowl might turn out to be... cos it uses neither oil nor butter or even eggs... but Semolina... and also for showing me the way to the clams at MArket Place... hehe.. Guess canned clams are now a MUST in my pantry...

but since she dont use cream and I thought I want to..

Heres my modified recipe =)

New England Clam Chowder

10 oz cans of Baby Clams
2 cup white onion, finely chopped
2 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup diced celery
1 can Nestle cream

For the roux,

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1 litre of whole milk
2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
Salt/Pepper to taste

In a large pot, combine ingredients and all the liquid from the tinned clams.
Reserve clams for later on.
If there isn't enough 'clam juice' to cover the vegetables, top it off with either bottled clam juice or water.
Bring to a boil and lower the heat, leaving it at a simmer. Cook till the vegetables are near tender.
Turn off heat.

In another large pan, melt butter.
Add flour, and whisk to cook the flour.
Gradually add the milk and whisk , to prevent any lumps from forming.
Continue whisking the milk mixture till it has thickened.
Add this into the vegetables. Let boil then add in Nestle cream... then clams (be careful not to overcook them, or they'll turn rubbery)
Season with salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle the tops of individual portions with dried parsley flakes.


Bread Bowl (someone pointed to me that the org recipe comes from here)

3 cups Bread Flour
1 cup semolina
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups water

Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix and knead them together -- by hand, mixer or bread machine -- till a soft, smooth dough is formed.
Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Divide the dough into five pieces, and form them into round balls.
Place them on a tray n into ur oven, and for 1 1/2 hours, or until they've almost doubled in size. Remove from Oven and preheat oven to 200degrees.
Just before placing the bread bowls in the oven, mist them heavily with water.
Bake the bread bowls in a pre-heated for 18 to 22 minutes, until they're a brown.

Remove the bread bowls from the oven and cool them completely before cutting the tops off and removing the insides
you get 5 large bread bowls.




This is the canned clams I used