s (•'.'•) welcome to karlsfoodie

Monday, January 14, 2008

Port Salut Quesadillas with Mango Salad

I been popping this Port Salut cheese to me very often ever since New Year eve wine n cheese party.. I think Im hooked n addicted to it already... Last nighth I finished my last bits (or chunks u call it) and I think I need to replenish my supply.

Port salut is a type of semi soft cheese made from cow milk.

What I found on Practicaly Edible as below

The cheese is ripened from the outside in by a smear of surface bacteria. It used to be brushed with brine while aging, which made it a Washed-Rind cheese, but this no longer happens, because the cheese is wrapped in plastic before aging.This makes its orange rind edible, though it is often not edible on Port du Salut style cheeses. Inside, the cheese is a pale yellow.

And yes.. I tink I like the rind too thou its a bit harder..

Nowadays I cut them into large chunks and eat them as tibits.. Hope I get the calcium from it and nto fats... LOLz

Found this recipe on Waitrose and I thought I will do it soon...

Ingredients

8 Wheat Tortillas
2 x 150g packs Port Salut, thinly sliced
110g pack Revillo Chorizo de Pueblo
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped

The mango salad:
1 large ready-to-eat mango, peeled, stoned and roughly chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Method

Place four of the tortillas on a flat surface and cover with the cheese and chorizo slices. Top with the remaining tortillas and set aside while you prepare the mango salad.

To make the mango salad place all the ingredients in a bowl, toss together and season.

Heat a little of the olive oil in a large frying pan and place one of the filled tortillas in the pan.

Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and the cheese is beginning to melt. Transfer to a plate and keep warm while you cook the others.

Cut each quesadilla into 4-6 wedges and serve warm with a portion of the mango salad.

Cook's tips
For added flavour you can sprinkle freshly chopped coriander over the cheese and chorizo before cooking. The rind of Port Salut is edible, but it can be removed before slicing if you prefer not to eat it.