s (•'.'•) welcome to karlsfoodie

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Gyoza

I think the difference between the Chinese gyoza aka Guo Tie and the Japanese ones, are only slightly different.. the veggies in it thats it.. If I rem, Japanese dont use chives in theirs.. while the chinese ones are loaded with them..

Chives also Known as Jiu Cai have a pungent smell esp when raw... try leaving it on ur counter top for a day or 2, U probably get the rotten meat smell... then again, if you ever try the fermented chives from china. use them for filling in Gyoza, I bet u will never want to eat the fresh one again.

Japanese Gyoza are often loaded with seafood like prawn and crabmeat making the gyoza juicier and sweeter

Either 1.. I like it all.. we can chomp down dozens of them at 1 go... Of cos we need load sof pure vinegar and shredded ginger to go with it.. Sadly.. I have nto master the restaurant standard kind of shredded ginger.. which is super thin.. the best i can do it.. is prob.. half an mm thick...
The retaurant vinegar.. are often thinned with water.. making is less shiok to eat with.. I like to use the Black Dog's brand since is mildly sweet and freagrant on top of the sourness...




Some Gyoza are deep fried (which I think its a bit too hard for me to bite since I dont like crispy thing, soe are pan fry.. with slight crispy on the skin and a little moist too... that is done by sizzling the gyoza with a little water while frying...

For supper last night... I cheated by using the ready made shanghai dumpling skin...

Now I need to buy more chives and do gyoza again since I finish my freshly wrap batch...