s (•'.'•) welcome to karlsfoodie

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Reunion Feast

By request of my family, this year I am required to do the dinner again... esp so since last yr when I order the Poon Choy from a supposedly very popular shop and it turns out to be a flop.
My sisters n mum protested when I mention i MIGHT cater again. and thus.. I need to cook almost everything myself this year.

With 1 more daughter married off.. this means my parents gotto accomodate the timing once more since it means my sis will be having her round 1 at home before she join us.

Whie I am very keen on cookin everythg by myself.. I guess on some food.. we just want to go the short cut way...

For instance, the Yu Sheng


Fa Cai Yu Sheng

Bought this set of of yusheng at Fissler the other day with Audrey. Minus the fish and the chredded vegies of cos... We got the normal type of sashimi instead of the super thin slice since most of us are Salmon Sashimi Lover. In fact what u see in the pic was onli 1/5 of the org amount of fish we added into the dish... its really YUMMY!
Also I added some gold n silver leaves on the yu sheng... so as to symbolised 蹁地黄金.
I heart Yu Sheng!!!


Then I tot of making some "GOLD leaves" appetiser... more like erm... as finger food. Sandwich fish & sotong paste with whole scallop and prawns, then deep fry.
Wanted it to look like god bar!!

heres how it looks like before frying.


Golden SeaFood Bar

Not posting the picture of the cook ones since the pic were badly taken due to my shaky hands and also rushing for time to serve the food warm.

Next, Yam ring.
Its dear an dmy favourite.. N I tot my monkey sisters will love them too... I tot of cooking 2 yam ring.. but seeing the amount of food.. makes me have 2nd thoughts.



Yam Ring

Since I gotto fry the yam ring..that was why I tot of frying the Golden Seafood Bar.. Must fully utilised the oil n deep fryer rite??
And thus.. sicne Im frying the yam.. Might as well fry the bee hoon for decor as well.. (ya I want to get rid of the bee hoon in my pantry !!hehe)

This round the yam ring was fried to almost perfection... its still soft n nice unlike the previous time it turn out pretty hard.

And whats a feast w/o shark fin?

When e went grocery shoppign at the Marine food stuff supplier last week, Dear pointed to the huge pack of shark fins.. Seeing the fins in nice cresent shape form.. I decided to grab 2 pack at $90 for the dinner.

After much steaming, and boilin of stock.. adding crabmeat, chicken into the stock.. My sharkfin is born!



Yummy Shark Fin

Yea if u notice... the gold leaf made its way into the soup again!!!
I guess thats what many ppl will love esp for us all who are businessman/woman..
And instead of the regular vinegar which is often used in restaurant.. we just love to have cognac or XO in the shark fin instead.. taste so good!!!

Mum was suggesting to buy roast chicken or the day.. But I tot the kids like us will prob be more excited with something else.. I decided on a suckling pig.

We ordered 1 from the mart and lug it home to roast... U see.. its frozen and I was tryign to see if its edible by pinching some b4 I roast it.. and my!! Its chewey rubbery and ermm oily!
Also the pig is too big fo rmy oven. if I stick the whole pig into the oven.. Either the head or the tail will be sticking out of the oven making it impossible to close the oven door..

End up i gotto chop off the head.. roast the body to perfection.. then roast the head seperately... NO qualms bout it.. since aft which I slick them up really thinly and arrange all on top of some fried keropok(yes I make use of the deep fryer again!) with my longish plate together w the head n tail..


Roast Suckling Pig

Luckily I roast it.. imagine how much oil was forced out of the pig while I was grilling it.. Of cos the eventualy result was fantastic.. light n crispy.. the crackling sound when u bite in is... hmmmmmm

Still I am greedy .. I wanted a chicken.. not roast... Remembering how much my family like drunkrad chicken fr crystal jade.. I thought thats the best dish to make since it can be made well ina dvance.. means lesser work for mi to do on the actualy day.

I forgot to snap a nice pic of it anyway and my sis snap the pic of the chicken in the midst of the dinner.. Loooks funny thou..


Drunkard Chix

Now..with the pig, sharkfin etc on the table.. what else is lacking?ABALONE of cos!

As usual.. Abalone is mostly pair with veggies. Thus got 2 can of abalone for the day... but I really think we will be over fed... so I made a smart decision on just using 1 can... the other.. save it for porridge nxt round!!


Jade Abalone..

Ya brocolli is easiest to cook.. if not spinach.. since I cant find any Spinach I make do with brocolli
Just add soem thickening on the sauce.. and the dish is done!!!

And oh yes the last dish was fry noodles with leek. Leek is commonly used for CNYdishes since in chinese we call it 蒜 which sounded like 算.. meanign u got loads(of money) to count.. Thus its th ebest dish to make.. No pic yet again cos I was really busy.. Din want my BIL to wait too long b4 we start dinner.

And why do I say this is the last dish? Where is dessert??

I originaly wanted to do orh nee.. somethign which i know if I dont do my ear will never get peace.. cos mysis will nag nag nag.. since she had refused outside orh nee... However, I really cannot find yam despite I went to many markets n marts... too bad.. next week mayb *wink*.. U shld have seen hwo she ransack my kitchen for orh nee.. tinking I lied bout having no orh nee! hahahaa.. maybe nxt week during our annual lo hei I shall make some then...

mean while

恭喜發財 to all!!!!

Im off for a good day ahead.. perhaps mahjong marathon hehe