s (•'.'•) welcome to karlsfoodie

Friday, August 10, 2007

Chantilly Crepe

I had some kind of funny flu going on alst nite.. woke up today feelign v tired ... went ont o sleep for 2 hours in the afternoon... and no mood to bake... to add fuel to fire, Dear said he is gg to be on duty tomorrow, monday and friday... WTH...


I cant cook anythg for him to brign to work since his stupid office have no fridge or MV.. and so I tot i shall do a loaf of bread.. Guess my mood isnt there...


Anyway, with the trip to Giant later on, I tot mayb I shlooud jus do some crepe for supper since we had early dinner today... and im stupid enough not to buy ice-cream there.. tsk tsk.. Im hopeless... end up gg down tot he supermart to buy againa ft i got home... when I got home the 2nd time.. to my horror... I realise im outof cornflour which is needed in the recipe.. damn.. off i went to buy again...


With my perserverance despite my flu...



I churn out these yummy crepe... topping it with the vanila icecream as well as my strawberry pregel... the result its YUMMY... Dear like the pregel I guess..cos when I had a 2nd serving w/o the pregel he commented that it wun b nie w/o that already hehe...

Anyway here is the recipe which Annie kindly share with me.. taken from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

Ingredients:
3 large eggs
1 cup (242g) milk (I use sparkling water instead)
1 t vanilla
3 T (43g) unsalted butter, melted
1 T Grand Marnier (I added far more than 1T but the smell is GREAT)
3/4 cup (90g) cornstarch/cornflour (I use 110g)
1/8 t salt
1 T sugar
1 T clarified butter (to oil the pan)

Notes on ingredients: you can increase the cornstarch to 1 cup if you prefer a thicker crepe but I liked it as it was.

Method:

The easiest and fastest way to mix the batter is in a blender. Place ingredients in the order given in a blender and blend at high speed for 10 seconds. Heat the crepe pan on med-high heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water.

Brush lightly with clarified butter and pour a scant 2 T batter into the center (this is if you're making really small crepes using a 6" pan) but I just ladle on enough to make a nice coating on the pan. Swirl batter until it covers entire pan thinly. The first one normally doesn't turn out so good but it gets better as you keep going.

Cook until the top starts to dull and the edges begin to brown. Flip it over and let it cook for another 10 seconds, or just until lightly browned. Invert the pan over the counter and the crepe will release.